May 26, 2010
Rich Mousty Named SBA Indiana's Small Business Person of the Year
Richard L. Mousty, President and CEO of Unified Group Services, Inc., has been named Indiana’s Small Business Person of the Year for 2010 by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). This award is given annually to honor the small business community’s contribution to the American economy and society and recognize the people and organizations that assist small businesses. The President of the United States designates one week each year as National Small Business Week. This year SBA Week was celebrated May 23-29 and Rich was presented the award for Indiana’s Small Business Person of the Year on May 25 at the SBA Conference in Washington, DC. On May 27, the Indiana Small Business Administration and Star Financial Bank will hold a reception in Rich’s honor at the Flagship Enterprise in Anderson.
Unified Group Services is a third-party administrator providing health, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts and short-term disability benefit administration for self-funded employee health plans throughout the United States. Unified offers a specialized website designed to provide members with access to their claims and benefit information at their convenience. In addition, Unified utilizes an industry leading medical management and wellness program using evidence-based medicine to identify and strategize patient risk based on all medical data.
From Unified’s humble beginnings in 1996, the company went from processing claims out of the sunroom of Rich’s home to providing service to 150 clients in more than 30 states with $300 million in health care claims a year. During their 14 years in business Unified has also purchased the client base from three Third Party Administrator companies. At the end of 2009, the company employed 111 individuals that serviced approximately 150 clients.
During the early years, the company quickly outgrew their office building in Pendleton, Indiana, and in 2004, Unified received a Small Business Association guaranteed loan to relocate the office to its current facility in Anderson, Indiana. The company continued to grow and in 2008, with the assistance of STAR Financial Bank and the SBA, the company received an additional SBA guaranteed loan allowing them to add an additional 9,000 square feet.
Upon being notified of the award, Rich quickly responded that this award was for the entire company and not just for him. He attributes the company’s endurance to a few core foundations. First and foremost, Rich and his management team have a great appreciation for all of the employees and are focused on making the company an excellent place to work. Unified strives to offer an employment environment that encourages open communication, teamwork, and individual empowerment. They believe that every employee is important and are committed to cultivating long term relationships with each one.
It is through their valued employees that good customer service is delivered, the core value of their success. The company believes that personal contact, in an industry that thrives on automated attendants, is the driving force behind their achievements. Unified likes to conduct modern business in an old fashioned way, with the personal touch of receptionists answering the phones and a dedicated account manager for each client. Additionally, Rich is actively involved in the day-to-day activities of the company and welcomes clients to call and personally speak to him.
Since its inception, Unified has been recognized with several awards. Rich strongly believes that each award and recognition is a special tribute to the employees’ dedication and the solid foundation on which the company was founded.
- 2009 Finalist Indiana State Chamber of Commerce’s Small Business of the Year in February 2009, November 2009, and again in November 2010.
- 2009 Company to Watch by the Indiana Economic Development Corporation, its Small Business Development Center network, Purdue University and the Edward Lowe Foundation.
- 2009 Top Place to Work in Central Indiana according to The Indianapolis Star.
- 2006-2008 4th Largest Indianapolis Area Employee Benefits Services Firm by the Indiana Business Journal.
- 2001-2004 Fastest Growing Indianapolis Area Private Company by Indiana Business Journal.
- 2001-2004 Growth 100 Company by the Indiana University Kelly School of Business.
- 2003 & 1999 TPA of the Year by Pacific Life.
- Unified was the first third party administrator to participate in the Indiana Health Information Exchange (IHIE)’s Quality Health First (QHF) program, which helps physicians and patients achieve better health outcomes and helps reduce the overall cost of care.